I have the sort of job where it is either running at full tilt in a total panic....or waiting. I have to say I much prefer the panic days as the work hours go by much more quickly. Unfortunately, there are periods of waiting for a purchase order or similar that can last a week or longer. During those periods, I try to do work related research...but, honestly I also spend time on some of my favorite time filler websites and aps. Since I started using my iPhone, I have found that there are really cool time-fillers in the form of Aps and Games. I am not putting the ususal suspects like FaceBook or Twitter, but more of the places/Aps I personally like that may be new to you.
Here they are, in no particular order (again, lists rule my life)
Angry Birds: Pretty much any version of this game will suck me in and make me beg one of my children to defeat a level for me. Lately, I have been on the Angry Birds Space edition. It is SO awesome because you have to take into consideration the orbit and gravity.
2. Sh*t My Kids Have Ruined: This is a website dedicated to users uploading pictures of items in their households their children have either destroyed, ruined, or added some artistic flavor to with their permanent markers. This website is definitely not to be used as a parenting manual, but it has some truly epic parenting FAILS that will make you laugh till you pee on yourself (okay, maybe not YOU but I have had 3 kids so don't judge).
I am sure the dog didn't mind...NOT
3. Regretsy: Oh my Maude, if you can look at some of the craptastic stuff on this site and not go WHUCK? Your brain is made of different stuff than mine. This site puts up REAL items that are for sale by Etsy or eBay that truly show how some people will call anything Art. Even what looks to me like a bunch of melted wax vaguely resembling a nose with light bulbs for boogers. The biggest shocker is this was SOLD to someone. Who, what, where....I don't even think I want to know the type of person that would put a light bulb booger blowing nose up in their house. I am sure someone in that house is instructing it to put the lotion on.....
4. Go Away: This is a blog by David Thorne. This blog will make you laugh until you cry. He basically makes it his mission to use sarcasm and wit to annoy his co-workers. Please be sure to check out his post called "Missing Missy." I love that post so much that I actually read it aloud to my department and showed the pictures....Unfortunately, they really didn't understand what I was saying because I was laughing so hard my words were unintelligible!
5. Pinterest: They need to call it CRACKerest, because it is that addictive. I have the mobile ap for my phone, a "Pin it" button on all my browsers, and check in on my pins or pin something almost as much as I check my FB account. It is an invite only type thing, but they aren't too picky (obviously since I got an account) on who they let in....if you need an invite leave me a comment and I can send one to you. It really isn't only a waste of time, because I use it almost like a virtual post-it note. If I am looking for ideas for my garden, I will pin the picture to refer to later....same goes with recipes to try, places I'd like to travel, etc.... If you have never been to this site, please consider this your warning to check out a 12 step program prior to becoming addicted ;-).
6. Damn you auto correct: I have to put a disclaimer that this is not an at work time filler. Big Brother blocks it, and it is a good thing, because most of these contain strong adult language. However, it is SO funny. I don't even care if they are all fake, I enjoy them just for the laughs. Anyone who has ever had a smartphone and likes to text has been the victim of autocorrect. Personally, my autocorrect kept turning the my Hottie Husband's name into the word Tuna, so now his poor kids are known as the Tunas in our house (not to their faces, but as in "what time are you picking up the tunas?").
7. Words With Friends: LOVE this ap on my iPhone which is also linked to my FaceBook account. It is scrabble that you can play with your friends (duh!). I usually have 6 - 8 games going simultaneously and have learned so many new words that I just thought I made up, but were actually REAL words! Did you know that "Metope" is a REAL word, and not just a cool way to use the letter P (turns out it is an architectual term for the distance between 2 tryglyphs...now I want to use tryglyphs in Words With Friends!)?
What are some of your favorite time fillers? Not that I need another addiction, but I am always on the look out for a great laugh!